Why does the flu become such a popular topic as soon as that first freeze hits? Fear. Plain and simple, if this thing gets me, I’m doomed for weeks, and it’ll take out my entire household. The media isn’t much help as they perpetuate that fear with stories of death rates ever increasing during the holiday season. We do agree that the flu is terrible, but we are here to help you proactively keep the flu from infiltrating your happy home during the cold months. Let’s drop some truth!
5 truths about the flu your doctor won’t tell you.
- The flu is completely preventable without the flu shot! Your main focus should be food, the biggest reason we get sick during the cold months is because we change so many of our healthy warm weather behaviors, and food is top of the list. Focus on eating a lot of green foods, we know this is tough because we want warm carbohydrate packed foods to satisfy our longing for a cozy tummy. As much as possible, resist those cravings, and as you do, your body will begin to crave what keeps it healthy!
Drink 16 ounces of organic celery juice every day (that’s equal to about one entire bunch of celery). This just might be the best thing you can do to see quick results. Celery has a calming effect on the nervous system and happens to be an amazing blood purifier and eliminator of toxins from the body, serving dual purposes: nervous system support and detoxification. (1)
Remember, the brain, the gut and the immune system are connected! Dr. Axe says to add a few of these to your regular diet, echinacea, elderberry, colloidal silver, probiotics, astragalus root, ginger, ginseng, vitamin D, myrrh, and oregano are the best ways to improve immune function with foods. (2)
- Get enough vitamin D (as well as other daily vitamins and minerals) will increase your odds of avoiding the flu! It gets colder and cloudier, and we are, of course, warming by the fire. The problem is, that fire isn’t giving us a good dose of the vitamin D our immune system requires in order to function at its best. We recommend Xymogen D3 Liquid found here. Just one drop is 250% of your daily required value. When you’re feeling something coming on, increase the dosage by a few drops to give your immune system the upper hand. There are so many natural options in terms of supplements that will allow you to proactively ward off illness, as well as do the work of healing you from acute issues.
- Exercise a few times every week improves your immune function, as well as blasting fat! Physical activity activates the lymphatic system! “The lymphatic system carries out the body’s immune responses by producing and distributing cells, such as lymphocytes and macrophages, that combat disease.” (3) Let’s get up and get moving.
- Essential oils can detoxify and disinfect your body and your environment. You have endless options in modality of use. Diffusing, ingesting, topical recipes, cooking, cleaning, laundry, jewelry diffusers, car diffusers, and the list can go on. Do what works for you! We recommend finding a very knowledgeable essential oils expert and even doing your own research to find out what oils to use for specific outcomes.
- Hit the sauna! Sweating is one of the best ways to expel toxins from the body. Take it up a notch by adding some essential oils – it’s easy to make your own! Always use a carrier oil, coconut oil works well, and a few great options include Frankincense, Thieves, Eucalyptus, and Lavender. We recommend Young Living as this is what we offer our own members and we know they are safe for both internal and external use.